I don’t know about you, but I’m always on the lookout for secret ingredients. They make everything so much better.
But then they aren’t secrets because I usually just tell people about them. But that’s only because I can’t resist because of the resulting goodness. You know?
This is how I feel about malted milk powder. I didn’t know it was a thing you could make stuff with. I didn’t even know where to find it in the grocery store. (Weirdly, it’s by the hot chocolate mix, coffee, tea, that sort of thing. So now you know. And you won’t have to confuse your friendly neighborhood grocer by requesting something they have probably never heard of.)
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup malted milk powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup (about 1 5 oz. box) chopped Whoppers candies (optional, add more
chocolate chips if you skip these)
Place one-inch dough balls on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, two inches apart. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes and then cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack.